FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2020 Vision: You Are Here, You Are Not Alone Opening at the Figge Art Museum
Davenport, Iowa (December 17, 2020) – 2020 has been a challenging year and the Figge Art Museum is reflecting on the journey that was 2020 in a brand-new exhibition opening on Wednesday, December 23.
2020 Vision: You Are Here, You Are Not Alone will be installed in the Figge’s second-floor Mary Waterman Gildehaus Community Gallery and will provide several chances for visitors to participate and contribute in person or from home. It will offer an opportunity to think, reflect, and create in the present moment with clarity – with 2020 vision.
Every moment is a gift and visitors are encouraged to be mindful of their surroundings as they engage fully with activities in the gallery space that are designed to reflect on the challenges of the past and the hopefulness of the future. Activities include:
In person or at home:
- Our Community – Photo Projection – send us a picture of your work-from-home, school-from-home, quarantine, or pandemic-life including portraits, selfies, or photos that represent what you and/or your family are going through.
- 2020/2021 Activity – write down a silver lining or an accomplishment from 2020 and a word of hope for the future.
- Appreciation Chain – on a mask template, write down what you are thankful for.
- Postcards of Thanks – use the materials provided or use your own to create a postcard for members of the healthcare community. Cards created at home can be dropped off at the front desk box and will be delivered locally to frontline healthcare workers.
- Color Your World – color one of the pages that is part of the larger landscape scene on the wall.
- Corners – Listen, Give Yourself a Hug, Breathe, and Best Wishes
For community members who are not able visit in person, the Figge is offering a way to participate from home. Responses for the at-home activities can be sent to [email protected] with the subject being the title of the activity you are responding to. All submissions will be added to the installation in the gallery by a Figge staff member. For full details on how to participate, visit www.figgeartmuseum.org.
“The Figge’s mission is to bring art and people together and this exhibition takes our mission a step further by reminding people that art has the power to heal,” said Figge Executive Director and CEO
Michelle Hargrave. “In a year that has been difficult for many, this exhibition offers fun and restorative activities for everyone. We hope that all in our community will participate and take away something positive.”
2020 Vision: You Art Here, You Are Not Alone will be on view through February 14, 2021.
About the Figge Art Museum:
The Figge Art Museum is dedicated to bringing art and people together. Located on the Mississippi River in downtown Davenport at 225 West Second Street, the Figge is the premier art exhibition and education facility between Chicago and Des Moines. Its landmark glass building, designed by British architect David Chipperfield, is home to one of the Midwest’s finest art collections and hosts world-class traveling exhibitions, art classes, lectures, and special events that attract visitors of all ages. Museum hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday; 10 a.m.-8 p.m. on Thursdays; and 12-5 p.m. on Sundays. Reservations are strongly encouraged and can be made at www.figgeartmuseum.org or by calling 563-345-6632. Admission to the museum is $10 for adults, $6 for seniors and students with ID and $4 children ages 4- 12. Admission is free to Figge members and institutional members and to all on Thursday evenings. To contact the museum, please call 563.326.7804, or visit www.figgeartmuseum.org.