Beyond the Classroom – Call for Submissions
On behalf of the Figge Art Museum, we would like to invite you to submit artwork for this year’s exhibition, Beyond the Classroom, which will be on display in the Mary Waterman Gildehaus Community Gallery from May 27, 2023 – September 3, 2023. This exhibition showcases teachers as artists and the work they create both inside and outside the classroom that then influences their teaching. The Figge installed the first Beyond the Classroom exhibition in 2013.
Artists holding at least a half time teaching position in a K-12 classroom in a district within a 45-mile radius of the Figge.
- April 7 - Entries Due
- April 14 - Notification of Acceptance
- May 11 (10 a.m. – 7 p.m.) - Delivery of Artwork to the Figge
- May 12 (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.) - Delivery of Artwork to the Figge
- June 8 - Reception
- May 27 – Sept. 3 - Exhibition
- Sept.14 (10 a.m. – 7 p.m.) - Pick up Artwork at the Figge
- Sept.15 (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.) - Pick up Artwork at the Figge
For consideration for the Beyond the Classroom exhibition, please submit the following to Heather Aaronson at [email protected]:
- Completed submission form
- Please submit up to two pieces of artwork and an artist’s statement
- Digital format is required. Digital images of artwork to be considered should be PC-readable, .jpg format and approximately 200 dpi. Artwork files MUST be labeled with title.
- You must include an image list with title, medium, date, dimensions of framed 2D art and H/W/D measurements of 3D pieces.
- Include a current artist statement with a maximum length of 150 words. This statement should address the ideas behind the work submitted and how your art has affected your teaching. Please be aware that space is limited, and your statement may be edited to fit on the label that will be placed by your art on the wall If you have a web presence, please consider putting your website on your paperwork.
If you have questions or need help submitting artwork, please email Heather Aaronson at [email protected] or call 563.345.6630.
The Figge Art Museum will attempt to accept at least one artwork from each applicant as space allows.
All artworks must be ready for hanging or installation. If a work requires special installation equipment or instructions, the artist is responsible for providing these items at the time of delivery. Please use Plexiglass if possible and attach appropriate hanging hardware. Wall artworks must weigh less than 50 pounds. Three-dimensional artworks may be displayed on the floor or on a pedestal (pedestals will be provided by the Figge Art Museum). Artworks may not be suspended from the ceiling. The Figge Art Museum reserves the right not to install any piece deemed not fit for exhibition due to their concern about the safety of the piece.
The Figge Art Museum does not provide insurance for lost or damaged artwork.
Delivery of artwork selected for the exhibition is the artist’s responsibility. Delivery times are May 11 (10 a.m. – 7 p.m.) and May 12 (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.). Shipping of the artwork should be arranged prior to the drop-off dates to ensure timely delivery of artwork.
Pickup of artwork selected for the exhibition is the artist’s responsibility. Pickup times are September 14 (10 a.m. – 7 p.m.) and September 15 (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.).