Position Description: Gallery Host
Reports to: Director of Education
Pay rate: Hourly |$12.50 per hour
Description: The Gallery Host provides a welcoming, safe, and informative visitor experience by answering questions, providing background on the museum’s collections/exhibitions, and assisting in wayfinding throughout the building. He/she is responsible for undergoing continuous cross-training in four visitor-facing areas: visitor orientation, in-gallery experience, collection and exhibition content, and safety and security.
- Greets and welcomes all visitors
- Assists visitors in planning their museum experience, and directs visitors to amenities in the immediate downtown area upon request
- Becomes an expert in the museum’s collections, the museum building, and its role in the community
- Ensures easy and efficient visitor flow through the museum
- Enforces security and safety procedures and protocols in galleries and all public spaces of the museum
- Liaises with security staff as needed
- Completes all required ongoing training, including but not limited to security training, audience engagement and collection training, and visitor orientation
- Answers questions throughout the museum
- Assists with general museum needs
Qualifications: REQUIRED: High school diploma, GED, or prior military service. Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of ethnic, cultural, and economic backgrounds. Ability to identify and positively resolve visitor issues in the moment. Good and thoughtful decision-making skills. Effective and persuasive communications skills; demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively to present information to diverse audiences. PREFFERED: Relevant coursework in arts education, museum studies, studio art, art history, or history (American, Western European and Latin American) from an accredited college or university. Foreign language skills. Experience in a visitor-facing role at a comparable organization. Experience in hospitality, retail, attractions, or cultural organizations.
Work Context: Requires working indoors in gallery environment, and involves physical activities such as moving tables and chairs. Requires a considerable amount of time communicating in person. The job requires considerable time sitting or standing (reasonable accommodation will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities). The job requires some climbing stairs, reaching, and lifting. The job requires ongoing communication within all departments and the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to Director of Education Melissa Mohr at: email@example.com.