Position Description: Director of Marketing and Communications
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director and CEO
Work Schedule: M-F, some evenings and weekends
The Figge Art Museum has an exciting opportunity for an experienced creative and collaborative Director of Marketing and Communications to join a dynamic team of museum professionals and provide leadership to advance the marketing and communication efforts and strategy of the Figge.
Reporting to the Executive Director and CEO, this new position will be responsible for planning, strategizing, developing, implementing, and reporting an integrated marketing and communications plan for the museum. The Director of Marketing will collaborate with the museum leaders and departments, including exhibitions, educational programs, internal and external events, community, and development initiatives, while substantially increasing the Museum’s visibility, attendance, and revenue.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This demanding and rewarding position is responsible for
- Effectively developing strategies to deepen the Museum’s reach through a combination of traditional, social media, and digital marketing tactics.
- Collaborating directly with the Executive Director, Development, Membership, Curatorial, and Education departments to enhance perceptions of the Museum, deliver key institutional messages, increase awareness of collections, exhibitions, classes, programs, and increase visitation both on site and online.
- Developing and overseeing the Marketing Department’s budget, reporting metrics of success for attendance, marketing activities and visibility, audience demographics, and the impact of the museum’s programs.
- Manages the museum’s internal and external communications and publications, public relations, media relations, advertising, social and online media, audience building, and marketing of exhibitions, programs and events.
- Supervising and leading a team made up of a Graphic Designer and Digital Media Specialist, Marketing Manager, and interim interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have a B.A. degree or higher with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in Marketing and Communications. Willing to work with candidates with an expansive experience and knowledge of marketing and communications in place of degree. Experience in non-profit work is ideal but not necessary.
- Ability to understand and follow strict museum guidelines and procedures.
- Strategic and analytical skills with deep understanding and execution of digital and social media.
- Ability to lead the Marketing Department of up to three department team members with minimal supervision and collaborate with colleagues across the museum.
- Ability to prioritize, delegate, and complete projects in a timely manner while meeting set deadlines.
- Strong communication skills are a must, as this position requires communicating directly with the Executive Director, CFO, department team members, other museum departments, and a wide range of stakeholders and audiences.
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills, with eagle-eye attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to represent the museum at events.
- Favorable background check and proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
The Figge Art Museum brings art and people together and enriches our community with the experience of art through education, collections, exhibitions, and preservation. Located on the Mississippi River in Downtown Davenport, the Figge is the premier art exhibition and education facility between Chicago and Des Moines. Its 110,000 square foot landmark glass building, designed by British architect David Chipperfield, is home to one of the Midwest’s finest art collections and combines collection and exhibition galleries, education studios, an auditorium, a café, and a bustling lobby. The Figge presents over 20 rotating exhibitions of historical and contemporary art each year as well as art classes, educational programs, special events, and outreach sessions that inspire and attract regional, national, and international audiences of all ages.
The Figge offers a competitive package of salary, benefits, and paid holidays and vacation, and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team at one of the leading cultural institutions in the Quad Cities.
The Figge is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. We aim to attract and retain talented people from all backgrounds. We are committed to a diverse, inclusive, equitable, accessible, and safe environment and value varied ideas, perspectives, insights, skills, and experiences within our workplace.
Please send a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and a writing sample to [email protected]. Please indicate “Director of Marketing” in the subject line. We encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. All applications will be kept confidential.